Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Natural Light in Sudan



  

Eight days in Sudan, between Khartoum, the capital of North Sudan and Heglig, an oil field located at the border line with South Sudan, in the region of South Kordofan,.
The trip took place in March 2013, almost one year after the attack of South Sudan army to the Heglig camp.

Before starting, due to uncertainty on safety conditions in South Kordofan, I decided to avoid to carry with me any additional photo equipment, which probably would attract too much attention. So I was traveling only with the Olympus E-3 body and the 25mm pancake lens. This means I had to deal only with the available natural light and I had no options for different lenses, which perhaps could work better than the compact 25 mm I carried with me.
Luckily, due to the latitude of the region and the begin of the dry season, there was plenty of light.

I found the local people really nice, ready to help me either in my job and in small daily issues, often related to the hard environmental conditions; I would never thought it was so uncomfortable not having a lip balm with me.

During our stay we had to visit also a neighboring oil field called Neem, located 170 km North-West of Heglig. We went there by helicopter, which I discovered it can offer very good light also for hi-key portraits (I believe the engineer who designed the helicopter was not aware of that).

In this post there are some photos of people have been worked with me or around me in this mission.
The first the third and the fourth pictures were taken on the helicopter, during our transfer from Heglig to Neem.
Whilst, in the picture below, a guy is decommissioning a crude oil engine, which have been damaged by dynamite during the attack of South Sudan army on April 2012. One of the same engines is also captured in the last pictures, in front of the African sunset.

That's all for this short post. See you soon.











No comments:

Post a Comment